[Tweeters] Inappropriate posts - from the thread Amerigo Vespucci

Steve Hampton via Tweeters tweeters at u.washington.edu
Tue Jun 25 06:35:52 PDT 2024

In the absence of any intervention by a Tweeters administrator, I will
reply.

These posts against proposed bird name changes - usually with incorrect
information and speculation regarding scope, costs and benefits, and other
aspects - are inappropriate here and do harm to the birding community and
the use of Tweeters as representative of the birding community.

Without trying to convince anyone why bird names (and organization names)
matter, I'll point out that they seem to matter to a lot of people.
Regardless of the rationale, there are three basic facts about this issue:

1) The demographic breakdown on this issue is stark. Most younger people
and people of color support the changes. Nearly all of the opposition comes
from white people over 65. This tells me, from a diversity, equity, and
inclusion perspective, there is a "there" there. We should pay attention to
why this is.

2) Due to historical biases and discrimination in opportunities and
privileges, the former group are the exact same demographics that are
under-represented in birding; and the latter are far more likely to be
today's field trip leaders, esteemed ornithologists, and conservation
organization leaders. This is evident and much has been written about it.

3) Having the latter group publicly dismiss the former group (on any issue)
is both insensitive and reckless when it comes to the future of birding.
Using Tweeters as a safe space for the latter group to openly gripe and
plan opposition is "gatekeeping" - public actions that preserve the status
quo and drive certain newcomers away. Intentions don't matter here; impacts
do. This is why so many younger people and people of color do not
participate in Tweeters, certain other social media groups, many birding
organizations, and their field trips.

I'm dubious anyone will learn from this post, or be inspired to learn more.
And I'm dubious about my continued participation in Tweeters.

I do wish everyone good birding,

--
Steve Hampton
Port Townsend, WA (qatáy)