[Tweeters] Gynandromorph Mallard in the Carkeek Wetlands Saturday morning

Nathaniel Peters ncpeters at uw.edu
Sat Mar 4 20:50:57 PST 2023

Howdy Tweets!

The monthly Carkeek Park Neighborhood Bird Outing that I lead for Seattle
Audubon had fantastic luck today in the chilly wet weather, when we pretty
much had the park to ourselves.

One of the big highlights of the trip was discovering what I believe to be
a gynandromorph/intersex Mallard in the wetlands around 10:15AM. We were
on the boardwalk looking at the 40-50 Mallards there, when I noticed a very
unusual individual. This Mallard had the crown, breast, wings, and curl
feathers of a male Mallard with the cheeks, flanks, and tail of a female
Mallard. The bill was very dark at the base and had a yellow/orange tip.
I received confirmation from Dennis Paulson that this bird looks good for a
gynandromorph, and I am fairly confident on my call. I also welcome the
thoughts of others if anyone else is able to locate the bird.

I have some decent quality iPhone pictures and am in the process of
collecting more from my walk participants. I went back at around 330pm but
all the ducks were gone at that time. I will probably try again tomorrow
morning and see if I can relocate the bird. If anyone would me to send
them the pictures, let me know.

Happy birding!

Nathaniel Peters
Seattle, WA