[Tweeters] A Ruth Shea story I retell at every opportunity

Ed Newbold ednewbold1 at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 4 14:45:20 PST 2023

Hi All,
It's sad to hear of Ruth Shea's passing. Thank you for notifying Tweeters, Martha (Jordan)!

We knew Ruth from SE Arizona where she and her husband Rod Druyen would often spend winters. She brought a lot of conviction and passion to the fight for conservation, and we were always happy to see both of them. As Martha said, Ruth worked tirelessly for Trumpeter Swans and was on the national board. But the story I tell everyone I can whenever I find the slightest opportunity is about a Sandhill Crane.

She and Rod, I'm not sure who was the lead author, wrote a book about a Sandhill that went through rehab but could not be released and ended up as a family pet. The book was about life with this charming bird, I have read it but I could not find when I looked just now on the internet.
They had one of those plastic wading/swimming pools in the yard and one of their daughters was outside with the pet Sandhill while Rod and Ruth were working inside the house. Suddenly they heard a big commotion and realized the Crane was trying to get into the house and making frantic Crane-noises at the door.
They rushed out to find the daughter in distress in what they took as the first stage of drowning. They were able to revive her completely.
Forever after, they credited the Sandhill Crane with saving their daughters life.
So drink a toast to Ruth's memory next time you get a chance!  And Rod!  And Sandhill Cranes!  and Swans!

Best wishes all,
Ed Newbold