[Tweeters] Gynandromorph Mallard in the Carkeek Wetlands Saturday morning

Matt Dufort matt.dufort at gmail.com
Mon Mar 6 23:11:19 PST 2023

Hi Nathaniel and Tweeters,

This intersex Mallard is a really neat bird. There are a handful of
reports of one at Carkeek over the last two months, which I assume is the
same individual. I have photos from January 8 that I haven't yet added to
eBird, that look very similar to those posted by Thomas Gergen. And Sarah
Peden's photos here also look like the same bird:
https://ebird.org/checklist/S129040845.

I did some reading on such birds when I saw this one earlier this winter.
The prevailing theory is that this is typically caused by female birds
losing the function of their single ovary, and thus losing production of
female sex hormones. When this happens, the other gonad often develops and
starts producing male sex hormones, which cause the bird to develop male
traits. It's been studied most extensively in chickens. If you want to
learn more about this, I'd recommend this review:
https://www.karger.com/Article/FullText/448365.

Good birding,
Matt Dufort