[Tweeters] Wednesday Walk at Billy Frank Jr Nisqually NWR

Shep Thorp shepthorp at gmail.com
Thu Mar 2 10:33:10 PST 2023

Dear Tweets,

Approximately thirty of us had a really nice day at the Refuge with partly
sunny skies and temperatures in the 30's to 40's degrees Fahrenheit and a
High 10.11ft Tide at 12:13pm. The Refuge Biologist was performing their
monthly bird survey with Associates and Volunteers from the Refuge, so
along with hunting raptors, we observed thousands of waterfowl flying
around the freshwater marsh and tidal estuary. Highlights included VARIED
THRUSH, PURPLE FINCH, and a KINGLET show in the Orchard, YELLOW-RUMPED
WARBLER feeding off the field along with AMERICAN ROBIN, great looks at an
immature RED-TAILED HAWK, three banded CANADA GEESE (banded in
Steilacoom in June 2021), SEMIPALMATED PLOVER in the surge plain, over 2000
DUNLIN with a few WESTERN SANDPIPER's in the mix, a hunting MERLIN that
successfully captured one of the Dunlin, and two EURASIAN WIGEON .

Starting out at 8am at the Visitor Center, we had great looks of
RING-NECKED DUCK and BUFFLEHEAD. A male Bufflehead continues at the
entrance pond adjacent to Kiosk Bridge for excellent photography.

The Orchard was hopping in the morning with nice looks of PURPLE FINCH,
VARIED THRUSH and ANNA'S HUMMINGBIRD. We had a great KINGLET show with
RUBY-CROWNED and GOLDEN-CROWNED, BLACK-CAPPED CHICKADEE and BROWN CREEPER.

The flooded fields along the Access Road had really nice observation of
NORTHERN SHOVELER, NORTHERN PINTAIL, AMERICAN WIGEON, AMERICAN GREEN-WINGED
TEAL, MALLARD and AMERICAN COOT. A large flock of YELLOW-RUMPED WARBLER
(Audubon's variety) were observed in the SW corner of the flooded field
just south of the old McAllister Creek Access Road foraging on the ground
for insects along with AMERICAN ROBIN. A PEREGRINE FALCON was seen by some
flying east along the south side of the Refuge. An immature RED-TAILED
HAWK showed well actively hunting just south of the Twin Barns. Two CANADA
GEESE were observed just south of the Twin Barns with metal leg bands. Jon
Anderson reported the band numbers to the Bird Banding Lab and we learned
these birds were banded in Steilacoom in June 2021. A large flock of
GOLDEN-CROWNED SPARROWS continues along the Access Road and around the Twin
Barns area.

The West Side of the Twin Barns Loop Trail had great viewing of a pair of
HOODED MERGANSERs, PIED-BILLED GREBE, and additional Ring-necked Duck.

The Twin Barns Overlook was good for FOX SPARROW, NORTHERN FLICKER, and
additional waterfowl.

Out on the dike or the Nisqually Estuary Trail, a pair of BALD EAGLE were
adjacent to the nest in the Cottonwood on the west side of the Nisqually
River. We are still trying to determine if the occupants of this nest are
the same or different from the ones working on the nest over the Twin
Barns. There are at least 4 nests on the Refuge that we monitor.
SEMIPALMATED PLOVER were relocated on the SE corner of the surge plain
foraging on the mudflats. Good numbers of American Wigeon, Northern
Pintail, Northern Shoveler and American Coot were observed out on the
dike. This winter we have had low numbers of American Green-winged Teal in
comparison to previous years. A large group of 400+ CACKLING GEESE were
seen roosting in the freshwater marsh. Off to the side we had a small
group of Minima variety next to two Canada Geese and one Taverner variety
for nice comparison. A third Canada Goose with metal band was identified,
similarly banded in Steilacoom in June 2021, along the dike. We had
upwards of three LINCOLN'S SPARROW in the brush between the dike and Leschi
Slough. I incorrectly identified a white stump superimposed on a large
horizontal dark log on the reach about a mile away through the scope as a
Snowy Owl. Many of us were convinced we had an owl until we got closer on
the Estuary Boardwalk Trail and could see the light colored stump behind
the log. I posted the sighting on Facebook and Whatsapp, and retracted it
shortly afterwards, but a few eager birders showed up to learn about my
mistaken stump bird.

The Nisqually Estuary Boardwalk Trail from 12p-2p was really nice for
shorebirds with the High Tide of 10.11 feet. We enjoyed over 2000 DUNLIN
and a beautiful hunt with a MERLIN successfully capturing one of the
birds. We found at least three WESTERN SANDPIPER's in the group, and
interestingly one of them was one legged, perhaps our old friend from the
beginning of the year. Shannon Slough and McAllister Creek were great for
COMMON GOLDENEYE, SURF SCOTER, RED-BREASTED MERGANSER, HORNED GREBE and
DOUBLE-CRESTED CORMORANT. We had numerous up close and topside views of
GREATER YELLOWLEGS and LEAST SANDPIPER. As well SHORT-BILLED GULL,
RING-BILLED GULL, and WESTERN X GLAUCOUS-WINGED GULL Hybrid. SPOTTED
SANDPIPER was seen along the west bank of McAllister Creek. A photo of a
funky duck, suspected Mallard x Gadwall, has been uploaded to our list.
Let me know if you have any thoughts on the plumage?

The Puget Sound Viewing Platform was good for scope views of the BRANT
GEESE (Black) at the mouth of Leschi Slough, and BRANDT'S CORMORANT on the
channel marker at the mouth of the Nisqually River. A Bald Eagle carried
prey to the west bank of McAllister Creek. An additional adult was
observed in the nest along the crest of the hill south of Luhr Beach.

On our return we picked up EURASIAN WIGEON (2) in Shannon Slough and the
freshwater marsh. A NORTHERN HARRIER was observed hunting either side of
the dike.

The Nisqually River Overlook is still our best bet for seeing COMMON
MERGANSER. We heard a HAIRY WOODPECKER at the Riparian Forest Overlook.
And enjoyed the Pied-billed Grebe eating Stickleback Fish in the afternoon
at the Visitor Center Pond Overlook.

We observed 66 species for the day with 99 species being seen this year.
The Hooded Merganser and Canada Geese were more tightly paired up and the
Indian Plumb is in bloom. The next month will be exciting with more early
spring arrivals. Mammals seen included Coyote, Columbian Black-tailed Deer
and Harbor Seal.

Until next week, happy birding.

Shep
--
Shep Thorp
Browns Point

Billy Frank Jr. Nisqually NWR, Thurston, Washington, US
Mar 1, 2023 6:40 AM - 4:23 PM
Protocol: Traveling
7.888 mile(s)
Checklist Comments: Wednesday Walk. Partly sunny skies with
temperatures in the 30’s to 40’s degrees Fahrenheit. A High 10.11ft Tide at
12:13pm. Mammals seen Coyote, Columbian Black-tailed Deer, Harbor Seal.
63 species (+5 other taxa)

Brant (Black) 36 Seen from the Puget Sound Observation Platform on the
reach beyond Leschi Slough
Cackling Goose (minima) 800
Cackling Goose (Taverner's) 40
Canada Goose (moffitti/maxima) 15 Three banded geese seen: 1) on dike
with Metal Band on left leg 1278-47476.
Northern Shoveler 175
Gadwall 20
Eurasian Wigeon 2 One seen in the freshwater marsh, the other seen in
a tributary off Shannon Slough from the McAllister Creek Viewing Platform
American Wigeon 700
Mallard 250
Gadwall x Mallard (hybrid) 1 Photo. Suspected hybrid. Seen on
Shannon Slough adjacent to the big bridge that crosses the channel between
the Observation Tower and McAllister Creek Observation Platform
Northern Pintail 600
Green-winged Teal (American) 200
Ring-necked Duck 10 Most seen at the Visitor Center Pond
Surf Scoter 25 Shannon Slough and McAllister Creek
Bufflehead 100
Common Goldeneye 40 Shannon Slough and McAllister Creek
Hooded Merganser 8 Several in Visitor Center Pond
Common Merganser 2 Nisqually River Overlook
Red-breasted Merganser 40 McAllister Creek
Pied-billed Grebe 1 Visitor Center Pond
Horned Grebe 6 McAllister Creek
Rock Pigeon (Feral Pigeon) 17
Anna's Hummingbird 1
Virginia Rail 1 Seen by one of our group on the survey in the
restricted Sanctuary
American Coot (Red-shielded) 125
Semipalmated Plover 5 Observed at 1/4-1/2 mile on the southeast corner
of the surge plain with spotting scopes foraging on mud flats. Small peep
sized Plover with single band on breast.
Dunlin 2200
Least Sandpiper 175 Counted, probably more. Groups of 60 seen multiple
times, flying and foraging. Several small groups of 3-20 birds seen in
multiple places on mudflats foraging. Observed at 30ft to 100 feet.
Western Sandpiper 3 Three birds seen with Dunlin, probably more. One
was one legged, small peep sized shorebird with whiter head and white
throat. Bill shorter than Dunlin and stubbier than Least Sandpiper. Black
legs.
Spotted Sandpiper 1 West bank of McAllister Creek
Greater Yellowlegs 25
Short-billed Gull 75
Ring-billed Gull 30
Glaucous-winged Gull 1
Western x Glaucous-winged Gull (hybrid) 10
Larus sp. 200
Brandt's Cormorant 7 Nisqually River Channel Marker
Double-crested Cormorant 10
Great Blue Heron 13
Northern Harrier 1 Female
Bald Eagle 8 Adult bird on nest west side of McAllister Creek seen
from the Puget Sound Observation Platform
Red-tailed Hawk 4
Belted Kingfisher 1
Hairy Woodpecker 1 Riparian Forest cut-off
Northern Flicker 2
Northern Flicker (Red-shafted) 2
Merlin 1 Seen on the Nisqually Estuary Boardwalk Trail hunting and
capturing Dunlin
Peregrine Falcon 1 Reported by some of our birders seen along the
south side of the Refuge
American Crow 50
Common Raven 1
Black-capped Chickadee 15
Ruby-crowned Kinglet 6
Golden-crowned Kinglet 25
Brown Creeper 4
Pacific Wren 3
Marsh Wren 4
Bewick's Wren 4
European Starling 400
Varied Thrush 2 Seen in the Orchard and along the Entrance Road
American Robin 80
Purple Finch 2 Orchard
Fox Sparrow (Sooty) 3
Golden-crowned Sparrow 30
Song Sparrow 27
Lincoln's Sparrow 4 Nisqually Estuary Trail or dike.
Spotted Towhee 10
Red-winged Blackbird 12
Yellow-rumped Warbler (Audubon's) 15

View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/checklist/S129963095