[Tweeters] FW: Chewelah CBC

strix.nebulosa1987 at gmail.com strix.nebulosa1987 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 4 18:25:21 PST 2023

Good morning everyone. We did the Chewelah Christmas Bird Count on Monday. We had 8people come and one feeder watcher.

Here are the final totals from Monday’s count.

Canada Goose 25

Mallard 10

Common Goldeneye 7

Common Merganser 3

California Quail 147

Ring-necked Pheasant 6

Ruffed Grouse 3

Wild Turkey 448

Great Blue Heron 2

Northern Harrier 1

Sharp-shinned Hawk 1

Cooper's Hawk 1

Bald Eagle 15

Red-tailed Hawk 17

Rock Pigeon 49

Eurasian Collared-Dove 169

Mourning Dove 3

Downy Woodpecker 2

Hairy Woodpecker 2

Northern Flicker (Red-shafted) 50

American Kestrel 1

Merlin 1

Northern Shrike 1

Gray Jay 1

Steller's Jay 2

Black-billed Magpie 118

Clark's Nutcracker 4

American Crow 41

Common Raven 65

Black-capped Chickadee 152

Mountain Chickadee 32

Chestnut-backed Chickadee 9

Red-breasted Nuthatch 65

White-breasted Nuthatch 1

Pygmy Nuthatch 40

Pacific Wren 1

American Dipper 1

Golden-crowned Kinglet 3

Western Bluebird 4

Townsend's Solitaire 3

American Robin 143

Varied Thrush 9

European Starling 767

Cedar Waxwing 6

American Tree Sparrow 5

Dark-eyed Junco (Oregon) 189

Song Sparrow 9

Red-winged Blackbird 2

House Finch 236

Cassin's Finch 18

Red Crossbill 65

American Goldfinch 66

Evening Grosbeak 5

House Sparrow 135

Total Individuals 3161

Total Species 54

Some interesting notes. The Western Bluebird is first for this count.

We had new highs for a few species.

Eurasian Collared Dove we had 169. Previous high was 138 in 2017

Black-billed Magpie. We had 118. Previous high of 107 was in 1979

Pygmy Nuthatch We had 40. Previous high was 35 in 2019.

Townsend’s Solitaire we had 3. Previous high was 2 in 2013.

House Finch. We had 236. Previous high was 90 in 2014.

Also Rough-legged Hawk was 0. Only the 2nd time since 1978 it was not recorded.

These have been recorded on all 19 counts thus far:

Great Blue Heron

Red-tailed Hawk

Black-billed Magpie

Common Raven

Black-capped Chickadee

Mountain Chickadee

Red-breasted Nuthatch

Golden-crowned Kinglet

European Starling

Oregon Junco

Song Sparrow

House Finch

House Sparrow

Another 5 have been found on all but one count:

Mallard

California Quail

Downy Woodpecker

Hairy Woodpecker

Red-shafted Flicker

This was the 19th count of this circle. The count was run from 1978 to 1986. Then from 2012 to the present one. I hope to see you next winter for the 20th.

Mike Munts

Colville, WA