[Tweeters] Tule White-fr Goose id tips

Steve Hampton stevechampton at gmail.com
Wed Jan 4 18:04:55 PST 2023

To add to Christopher's post and pic, the Tule White-fr Goose is worth
paying attention to. They are a likely future split and represent a fairly
small and unique population. Unlike other Greater White-fr Geese, they nest
in forested areas in interior Alaska in the Denali/Anchorage area, not on
the tundra.
They are larger, much more of a dark chocolate brown instead of the
brown-gray of the others, and have a stronger bill. I have more pics from
Colusa NWR in the Sacramento Valley (one of the easier places to see them),
with some regular GWFG on the same checklist for comparison:
https://ebird.org/checklist/S62896446

Even at Colusa, they mostly stay separate from the others, usually in a
small group of 5-15 individuals, in ponds with tall tules. The other GWFG,
all 5,000 of them, are often in large groups in flooded fields.

good birding,

--
Steve Hampton
Port Townsend, WA (qatáy)