[Tweeters] Best source for local phenology?

HAL MICHAEL ucd880 at comcast.net
Mon Feb 20 12:21:25 PST 2023

I look at my nest box data. It is, obviously, only for hole nesting birds but over 30 years some trends should emerge.

Nesting phenology is something that will require long-term data sets. I was looking at my boxes and there seems to be a trend to actually nesting later. While I think this is because of (ultimately) food resources this did not correlate with rainfall or temperature during the nesting period (Spring). A number of species (certainly waterfowl) seem to nest in response to food availability. That is, there is some trigger that tells them good food will be available for the hatchlings.

I have read (somewhere) that warming spring temperatures have induced plants to bud out and grow earlier. Probably increases bug emergence. But migratory birds are tied more strongly to daylength and thereby arrive on the grounds after bug emergence and consequently miss the bug bloom, so less food is available.

Lots of variables to consider but you'll need really long (multi decadal) data sets for it.

Hal Michael
Board of Directors, Ecologists Without Borders http://ecowb.org/
Olympia WA
360-459-4005