[Tweeters] Best source for local phenology?

Steve Hampton stevechampton at gmail.com
Mon Feb 20 12:44:49 PST 2023

Yes, the research on breeding time wrt climate change is a bit mixed. I
talked about this in my presentation to Black Hills Audubon a couple months
ago (video on their webpage) and in a recent article in *Birding *magazine
(the one with the tern on the cover). In general, long-distance migrants
seem to be wired more to day length than weather. But resident species
(e.g. chickadees, etc) are possibly more flexible. They need 6,000 moth
caterpillars to fledge a nest, and these are in general coming earlier
now. I'd be curious to compare breeding phenology (e.g. egg laying, chick
hatching, chick fledging dates) between resident species and long-distance
migrants. Of course, each species has a typical uniqueness!

--
​Steve Hampton​
Port Townsend, WA (qatáy)