[Tweeters] Pigeon Guillemot in Breeding Plumage in Early February?

Michael Price loblollyboy at gmail.com
Tue Feb 7 23:23:48 PST 2023

Dennis Paulson writes: <In all three regional cormorants, the only visible
sign of it are breeding plumes and bare-skin color, not so obvious except
at close range but indeed very dramatic then.

This isn't the first time I have wished I could add photos to a post! ;-) >

Likewise, Dennis. I have to take mild issue with the contention that all
cormorants show only plumes and bare-skin color changes when in Alternate
plumage. In such plumage, Pelagic and Red-faced (RFCO) both show quite
conspicuous white flank patches. So when about a third of the Prospect
Point lot disappear in all-dark nonbreeding plumage in mid-November and
reappear in mid-January with big white bum-patches characteristic of
breeding plumage--well, what's a boy to do but conclude these (returning?)
birds are rarin' to go, reproductively? Otherwise, what's their flash new
plumage for?

Such an early initiation of breeding display would inspire the question
that Hal Michael raises, of piscivores taking advantage of a mid- to
late-winter fishery to promote breeding success.