[Tweeters] Pigeon Guillemot in Breeding Plumage in Early February?

Steve Hampton stevechampton at gmail.com
Wed Feb 8 07:32:41 PST 2023

eBird enables one to add photos as well as to add comments and to document
stage of breeding (via the breeding code feature). Last year I added a
few comments re: PIGU in breeding plumage.

Jan 24: one in full breeding plumage
Feb 9: many in breeding plumage

Due to considerable interest and research into changes (or lack thereof) in
breeding timing with climate change, I strongly recommend people to note
breeding timing, especially appearance of first fledges or nest with eggs
or young.

>From high to low, eBird breeding codes are:

- *NY Nest with Young (Confirmed)* -- Nest with young seen or heard.
- *NE Nest with Eggs (Confirmed)* -- Nest with eggs.
- *FS Carrying Fecal Sac (Confirmed)* -- Adult carrying fecal sac.
- *FY Feeding Young (Confirmed)* -- Adult feeding young that have left
the nest, but are not yet flying and independent (for some projects should
not be used with raptors, terns, and other species that may move many miles
from the nest site; often supersedes FL).
- *CF Carrying Food (Confirmed)* -- Adult carrying food for young (for
some projects should not be used for corvids, raptors, terns, and certain
other species that regularly carry food for courtship or other purposes).
- *FL Recently Fledged Young (Confirmed)* -- Recently fledged or downy
young observed while still dependent upon adults.
- *ON Occupied Nest (Confirmed)* -- Occupied nest presumed by parent
entering and remaining, exchanging incubation duties, etc.
- *UN Used Nest (enter 0 if no birds seen) (Confirmed)* -- Nest is
present, but not active. Use only if you are certain of the species that
built the nest.
- *DD Distraction Display (Confirmed)* -- Distraction display, including
feigning injury.
- *NB Nest Building (Confirmed/Probable)* -- Nest building at apparent
nest site (should not be used for certain wrens, and other species that
build dummy nests; see code "B" below for these species).
- *CN Carrying Nesting Material (Confirmed/Probable)* -- Adult carrying
nesting material; nest site not seen.
- *PE Physiological Evidence (Probable)* -- Physiological evidence of
nesting, usually a brood patch. This will be used only very rarely.
- *B Wren/Woodpecker Nest Building (Probable)* -- Some species,
including certain wrens (e.g., Marsh Wren), woodpeckers, and certain other
cavity nesters (e.g., barbets) may build dummy nests and thus nest building
activity cannot be considered confirmation. Use this category in those
cases.
- *A Agitated Behavior (Probable)* -- Agitated behavior or anxiety calls
from an adult. This excludes responses elicited by "pishing", playing
recordings, or mobbing behavior that species engage in year-round (for
instance, mobbing an owl).
- *N Visiting Probable Nest Site (Probable)* -- Visiting repeatedly
probable nest site (primarily hole nesters).
- *C Courtship, Display or Copulation (Probable)* -- Courtship or
copulation observed, including displays and courtship feeding.
- *T Territorial Defense (Probable)* -- Permanent territory presumed
through defense of breeding territory by fighting or chasing individuals of
same species.
- *P Pair in Suitable Habitat (Probable)* -- Pair observed in suitable
breeding habitat (for some projects only during breeding season).
- *M Multiple (7+) Singing Birds (Probable)* -- At least 7 singing birds
present in suitable nesting habitat (for some projects only during breeding
season).
- *S7 Singing Bird Present 7+ Days (Probable)* -- Use only if you have
observed a singing bird at the same spot (not elsewhere) one week or more
earlier in the season.
- *S Singing Bird (Possible)* -- Singing bird present in suitable
nesting habitat (for some projects only during breeding season).
- *H In Appropriate Habitat (Possible)* -- Adult in suitable nesting
habitat during its breeding season.

--
​Steve Hampton​
Port Townsend, WA (qatáy)