[Tweeters] Pigeon Guillemot in Breeding Plumage in Early February?

Dennis Paulson dennispaulson at comcast.net
Tue Feb 7 08:28:50 PST 2023

Michael, we did add cormorants to that earlybird list after my original post. The molt is just a lot more dramatic in alcids, at least in guillemots and murres, as it brings on a substantial change in plumage color. In all three regional cormorants, the only visible sign of it are breeding plumes and bare-skin color, not so obvious except at close range but indeed very dramatic then.

This isn’t the first time I have wished I could add photos to a post! ;-)

Dennis Paulson
Seattle