[Tweeters] Pigeon Guillemot in Breeding Plumage in Early February?

HAL MICHAEL ucd880 at comcast.net
Tue Feb 7 07:39:14 PST 2023

The birds being talked about (Alcids, corms) are piscivores. I wonder if changes in fish spawning, species compositions, and timing have not made some high quality food available in mid-winter.

In its native range, the Nene nests in the fall. It is the only waterfowl to nest on declining day length. But, captive birds here on North America, and probably Europe, nest in spring on an increasing day length. It looked to me like spring bloom in grass growth in the temperate northern hemisphere actually triggered egg production. The last few decades have seen massive increases in chum and pink slamon fry and conversion from herring to anchovy. All may be more available now.

Hal Michael
Board of Directors, Ecologists Without Borders http://ecowb.org/
Olympia WA
360-459-4005