[pccgrads] Geoengineering Course Winter 2024

PROGRAM ON CLIMATE CHANGE uwpcc at uw.edu
Mon Oct 30 09:27:27 PDT 2023

________________________________
Winter Quarter 2024

ETHICS 501/ATMS 591 (with PHIL 417/ENVR 417) Ethics, Science and Geoengineering (5 credits)
Steve Gardiner and Cecilia Bitz

Wednesdays

Time 3:30-6:00 p.m.

Geoengineering - roughly the intentional technological manipulation of the earth's environment on a global scale - is becoming a hot topic in climate change circles, as well as in the broader science and ethics communities. In this interdisciplinary seminar course, we will consider the science of geoengineering, and the ethical considerations at stake, including governance. We will concentrate on solar radiation management techniques, such as stratospheric sulfate injection, and marine cloud brightening. Scientifically, we will look at how such mechanisms affect the climate system, trajectories for research, and levels of uncertainty. Ethical topics will include emergency arguments for geoengineering, moral hazard, justice, political legitimacy, and ethical regulation of research and perhaps deployment. Versions of the course are cross-listed in Atmospheric Sciences, Environmental Studies and Philosophy.

Entrance is via instructor permission only. Students outside the physical sciences should contact Steve Gardiner (at smgard at uw.edu<mailto:smgard at uw.edu>). Students in physical science should contact Cecilia Bitz (at bitz at uw.edu<mailto:bitz at uw.edu>).