Michael Hobbs via Tweeters tweeters at u.washington.edu
Thu May 30 12:10:56 PDT 2024

Tweets - The rain eased up right around the official start time (5:30
a.m.), and we did the survey without getting more than a few drops on us.
We even saw our shadows late in the morning. But it wasn't warm (44-53),
and the birds could have been a little more cooperative. Still, it was a
good morning.

Highlights:
Wood Duck - Two (maybe three) clutches of ducklings
Blue-winged Teal - Male, seen best at Lake Platform
Common Merganser - Female with around 8 ducklings on her back, seen
from the Rowing Club dock
Spotted Sandpiper - Downstream flyby from the Rowing Club dock
Downy Woodpecker - Nest exchange near the start of the boardwalk
Bullock's Oriole - Silent female a little north of the heronry. First
of Year (FOY)
MacGillivray's Warbler - One singing and glimpsed SW of the concert
stage; may have heard another earlier (FOY)

The heronry has many large juveniles stuffing the nests. There were baby
birds of several species.

Misses today included Rock Pigeon, Glaucous-winged Gull, Green Heron, Cliff
Swallow, Wilson's Warbler, and Western Tanager.

For the day, 61 species. I believe we're now at 123 species for the year.

= Michael Hobbs
= BirdMarymoor at gmail.com
= www.marymoor.org/birding.htm