[Tweeters] Wednesday Walk for Billy Frank Jr Nisqually NWR 5/30/2024

Shep Thorp via Tweeters tweeters at u.washington.edu
Thu May 30 11:35:42 PDT 2024

Dear Tweets,

Approximately 30 of us had a bit of a wet Wednesday at the Refuge with
partly cloudy skies, temperatures in the 50's to 60's degrees Fahrenheit
and two windy rain squalls that rolled through the Refuge. There was a
High 10'1" Tide at 9:32 so we skipped the Orchard in the morning and
started out on the west entrance to the Twin Barns Loop Trail to chase the
falling tide.

There was a beautiful morning chorus full of SWAINSON THRUSH, BLACK-HEADED
GROSBEAK, WARBLING VIREO, WILLOW FLYCATCHER, YELLOW WARBLER and PURPLE
FINCH.

Highlights included nice looks at breeding BLUE-WINGED TEAL and CINNAMON
TEAL in the Visitor Center Pond and flooded field south of the Twin Barns,
RED-BREASTED SAPSUCKER, CHESTNUT-BACKED CHICKADEE and DOWNY WOODPECKER
feeding young in nest cavities, RED-NECKED PHALAROPE in the freshwater
marsh, 10 remaining WHIMBREL on the mudflats west of Leschi Slough, and
high count 20 BANK SWALLOWS feeding over the flooded fields and freshwater
marsh. There was a hen WOOD DUCK with at least 10 ducklings in the Visitor
Center Pond. Kathleen and Jon, then Jason and Tom located late COMMON
GOLDENEYE and BUFFLEHEAD, as all our other winter visitors have moved on.
Laurie observed a late HERMIT THRUSH in the Twin Barns area.

The Red-breasted Sapsucker and Chestnut-backed Chickadee nest cavities are
in a Y shaped snag outside the north section of the Twin Barns Loop Trail
across from the old owl nest tree. The Downy Woodpecker nest hole is in a
large Maple Tree to the right of the entrance to the Visitor Center.

Sadly, I lost a large part of the group at the Tower Observation Platform
at the beginning of the Nisqually Estuary Boardwalk Trail because I was
overly zealous in making it to the McAllister Creek Observation Platform
during our first rain squall. In hindsight, I should have camped out with
everyone under the Observation Tower during the rain. My apologies to
those I left behind, I hope the remainder of your day was fun!

We observed 75 species for the day, and have seen 153 species this year.
See additional details and photos in the eBird list pasted below.

Mammals seen included Eastern Cotton-tailed Rabbit, Columbian Black-tailed
Deer - two spikes in velvet, Harbor Seal and River Otter. Others seen
included Pacific Tree Frog, Bullfrog, Red-eared Slider and Garter Snake.

Until next week when we meet again at 8am at the Visitor Center Pond
overlook, happy birding.

Shep
--
Shep Thorp
Browns Point

Billy Frank Jr. Nisqually NWR, Thurston, Washington, US
May 29, 2024 7:07 AM - 4:26 PM
Protocol: Traveling
6.964 mile(s)
Checklist Comments: Wednesday Walk. Partly cloudy with intermittent
rain. Temperatures in the 50’s to 60’s. A High 10’1” Tide at 9:32am.
Mammals seen Eastern Cotton-tailed Rabbit, Columbian Black-tailed Deer-two
point buck with velvet, Harbor Seal, River Otter. Other seen Pacific Tree
Frog, Bullfrog, Red-eared Slider, Garter Snake.
75 species (+4 other taxa)

Canada Goose (moffitti/maxima) 40
Wood Duck 17
Blue-winged Teal 5
Cinnamon Teal 2
Northern Shoveler 1
Mallard 60
Bufflehead 1 Seen in freshwater marsh by Jason and Tom. Photograph
taken. Late female or immature male type.
Common Goldeneye 2 One seen in confluence of Shannon Slough and
McAllister Creek spotted by Kathleen. The other spotted in freshwater marsh
by Jon. Both immature males.
Hooded Merganser 1
Common Merganser 2 Nisqually River Overlook.
Pied-billed Grebe 2
Rock Pigeon (Feral Pigeon) 3
Band-tailed Pigeon 5
Mourning Dove 3
Vaux's Swift 5
Anna's Hummingbird 1
Rufous Hummingbird 4
hummingbird sp. 1
Virginia Rail (Virginia) 2
Sora 4
Whimbrel (Hudsonian) 10 Mudflats north and west of Leschi Slough.
Red-necked Phalarope 1 Spotted by Ken in freshwater marsh.
Rhinoceros Auklet 1 Flying south beyond reach.
Pigeon Guillemot 1 Foraging outside of reach.
Ring-billed Gull 175
California Gull 10
Glaucous-winged Gull 2
Western x Glaucous-winged Gull (hybrid) 2
Western/Glaucous-winged Gull 20
Caspian Tern 75
Brandt's Cormorant 9 Channel Marker.
Double-crested Cormorant 85
Great Blue Heron (Great Blue) 60
Bald Eagle 25 Nest across McAllister Creek from Puget Sound
Observation Platform.
Belted Kingfisher 3
Red-breasted Sapsucker 4 Feeding young in cavity in Y shaped snag
outside of Twin Barns Loop Trail along the north section north of the old
owl nest tree.
Downy Woodpecker (Pacific) 4 Feeding young in a nest cavity in a large
Maple Tree to the right or east of the entrance to the Visitor Center.
Northern Flicker 3
Northern Flicker (Red-shafted) 1
Western Wood-Pewee 3
Willow Flycatcher 5
Western Flycatcher (Pacific-slope) 1
Warbling Vireo (Western) 5
Steller's Jay (Coastal) 1
American Crow 12
Common Raven 1
Black-capped Chickadee 6
Chestnut-backed Chickadee 8 Feeding young in cavity in Y shaped snag
outside of Twin Barns Loop Trail along north section north of the old owl
nest tree.
Bank Swallow 20 Counted minimum of 14 over flooded fields south of
Twin Barns. Counted minimum of 6-8 over freshwater marsh.
Tree Swallow 25
Violet-green Swallow 2
Purple Martin 4
Northern Rough-winged Swallow 8
Barn Swallow (American) 60
Cliff Swallow (pyrrhonota Group) 40
Bushtit (Pacific) 8
Brown Creeper 2
Pacific Wren 1
Marsh Wren 8
Bewick's Wren 6
European Starling 400
Swainson's Thrush (Russet-backed) 30
Hermit Thrush 1 Seen by Laurie at Twin Barns area. Red tailed thrush
with a distinctive eye ring.
American Robin 25
Cedar Waxwing 40
Purple Finch 4