[Tweeters] Joint Base Lewis McChord (JBLM) Eagle's Pride Golf Course (GC) monthly bird walk - 5-16-2024

Denis DeSilvis via Tweeters tweeters at u.washington.edu
Fri May 17 19:22:38 PDT 2024

Tweeters,

A cool (48degF), cloudy start ended mostly sunny and 60degF with some nice Spring birding for the 19 of us that looped around the JBLM Eagle's Pride GC on Thursday, May 16. The walk started with a great sighting: BULLOCK'S ORIOLE pair at the maintenance pond - the third Spring we've had this species here at this exact spot. It appeared that the female was starting a nest in a Douglas-fir (!) at the side of the pond. We'll see if this possible nest site proves valid next month.

Other notable sightings include the following:

First-of-year (FOY) for WESTERN WOOD-PEWEE, CEDAR WAXWING, HOUSE WREN, WESTERN TANAGER, WESTERN FLYCATCHER, SWAINSON'S THRUSH, WARBLING VIREO, EVENING GROSBEAK, BLACK-HEADED GROSBEAK, PURPLE MARTIN, OLIVE-SIDED FLYCATCHER, and RUFOUS HUMMINGBIRD. Plus see below for warblers.

YELLOW (FOY), YELLOW-RUMPED, MACGILLIVRAY'S (FOY), WILSON'S (FOY), BLACK-THROATED GRAY (FOY), ORANGE-CROWNED, AND TOWNSEND'S WARBLER, plus COMMON YELLOWTHROAT for 8 of the 9 warbler species we were hoping to tally. (No Hermit Warbler, but maybe next month.)

All three expected vireos: HUTTON'S, WARBLING, and CASSIN'S, with the latter on a nest (photo attached).

The JBLM Eagle's Pride GC birders meet the third Thursday of each month at 8:00AM starting in March. Starting point is the Driving Range building, Eagle's Pride Golf Course, I-5 Exit 116, Mounts Road Exit. (Turn left immediately after entering the parking lot to take the road leading to the driving range building.) Upcoming walks include the following:

* June 20

* July 18

* August 15

Everyone is welcome to join us!

>From the eBirdPNW report:

58 species

Mallard 3

Pied-billed Grebe 2

Band-tailed Pigeon 15

Anna's Hummingbird 3

Rufous Hummingbird 1

Bald Eagle 4

Red-tailed Hawk 4

Downy Woodpecker 1

Hairy Woodpecker 2

Northern Flicker 5

Olive-sided Flycatcher 1

Western Wood-Pewee 6

Western Flycatcher 4

Hutton's Vireo 4

Cassin's Vireo 4

Warbling Vireo 6

Steller's Jay 3

American Crow 2

Black-capped Chickadee 15

Chestnut-backed Chickadee 12

Tree Swallow 20

Violet-green Swallow 6

Purple Martin 2

Barn Swallow 15

Bushtit 7

Golden-crowned Kinglet 2

Red-breasted Nuthatch 6

Brown Creeper 2

House Wren 7

Pacific Wren 2

Bewick's Wren 2

European Starling 4

Swainson's Thrush 5

American Robin 50

Cedar Waxwing 6

Evening Grosbeak 15

House Finch 6

Purple Finch 20

Pine Siskin 20

American Goldfinch 9

Chipping Sparrow 2

Dark-eyed Junco 8

White-crowned Sparrow 9

Song Sparrow 15

Spotted Towhee 10

Bullock's Oriole 2

Red-winged Blackbird 4

Brown-headed Cowbird 35

Orange-crowned Warbler 5

MacGillivray's Warbler 3

Common Yellowthroat 3

Yellow Warbler 18

Yellow-rumped Warbler 6

Black-throated Gray Warbler 12

Townsend's Warbler 1

Wilson's Warbler 16

Western Tanager 15

Black-headed Grosbeak 12

View this checklist online at https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Febird.org%2Fchecklist%2FS175210458&data=05%7C02%7C%7Cea5a7b06c5304536a4be08dc76dcb3c3%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C638515937488203611%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C0%7C%7C%7C&sdata=Fk7z84YKUnzi8ZF%2BavOxJCkdengTvZjLYYfLCb1uQwI%3D&reserved=0<https://ebird.org/checklist/S175210458>

May all your birds be identified,
Denis

Denis DeSilvis
Avnacrs 4 birds at outlook dot com