Matt Bartels via Tweeters tweeters at u.washington.edu
Thu May 16 15:21:41 PDT 2024

Hi Tweets -
Once again, a group of us were filling in for Michael while out of town. Today we ran into drizzly overcast weather that really kept the bird numbers down. We had mist, mizzle, drizzle and maybe even a bit of honest to goodness rain. Birds seemed to be taking the day off for good stretches of the day -
Nevertheless, as always we had a good day.

Highlights:
Cinnamon Teal - one fly-by male above the community garden
Spotted Sandpiper - first-of-year (FOY) - one flew by as we approached the slough at the rowing club
Western Wood-Pewee - FOY - one seen, one or two more heard-only
Swainson’s Thrush - several vocalizing, mostly pre-dawn, including some singing this week. Still none seen yet on our walk.
Black-headed Grosbeak - many around singing, even got enjoyable looks on occasion
Lazuli Bunting - FOY - one singing in the off-leash dog area

We had a beaver hauled out on the weir for a bit, and also a coyote across the slough at the weir for a bit.

Notable misses were plentiful, including: mergansers, pigeons, Hairy & Pileated Woodpecker, Yellow-rumped Warbler, Bullock’s Oriole

For the day, 50 species

Matt Bartels
Seattle, WA