[Tweeters] Use of Merlin app

Kenneth Brown via Tweeters tweeters at u.washington.edu
Thu May 2 18:25:21 PDT 2024

I use Merlin mostly when I'm birding alone. I'm hard of hearing, using it alerts me to the possibility of nearby birds I didn't hear. I don't list birds I didn't hear if I didn't see them. I toured the Darlin Creek Preserve this afternoon, among the birds Merlin ID'd but I didn't list were Black-throated Gray Warbler, Hermit Warbler, Wilson's and Yellow warbler, Lesser Goldfinch and a couple of others because I didn't see them. I did rely on Merlin for one species ID though, and now I'm wondering if I should have. Hammond's Flycatcher appeared on my phone and I found the bird. It was active and so not staying in place very long but it fit the description and I listed it. After consideration, I have to say that without Merlin's prompting I wouldn't have been sure I could distinguish it from a Dusky Flycatcher. In this situation, where voice is critical, is using Merlin to make that determination acceptable? Or should I have listed it as an Empid species? What does the birding world think?