[Tweeters] How can I "up my game"?

Steve Loitz via Tweeters tweeters at u.washington.edu
Fri Jun 28 08:53:18 PDT 2024

Heather,

I often, but not always, rely on voice only for IDs. It depends on my
confidence in IDing a given species by voice only. For example (off the top
of my head/birds I've IDd by voice in the past couple weeks), I am very
confident IDing the songs and/or calls of a Hermit Thrush, Western (fka
Pacific-slope) Flycatcher, Willow Flycatcher, Song Sparrow, Black-headed
Grosbeak, Spotted Towhee, Western Wood Pewee, Sora, White-crowned Sparrow,
Olive-sided Flycatcher, Kildeer, Wilson's Snipe, Belted Kingfisher, Yellow
Warbler, Townsend's Warbler, Lazuli Bunting, Warbling Vireo, Cassin's Vireo
and many more. OTOH, I have difficulty distinguishing voicings of some
species, e.g., Purple Finch vs. Cassin's Finch, thus I need to confirm
those by sight. And sometimes I hear a song or call that makes me shrug my
shoulders.

IME, it helps to have more than one set of trained ears. Also, there are
different dialects, e.g., Spotted Towhees have a different set of calls E
of the Cascade crest, and that can result in confusion when birding in
unfamiliar territory.

Birding by ear has tracked on a lifelong learning curve for me.

Final thought: The Merlin app is a great learning tool, but it *only
provides suggestions and sometimes is incorrect*. My Merlin app has
erroneously IDd a Yellow-breasted Chat as a Northern Mockingbird or a
Dickcissel, it often mixes a PUFI for a CAFI and vice versa, etc., etc.

Happy birding by voice,

Steve Loitz
Ellensburg WA

--