[Tweeters] How can I "up my game"?

Jim Betz via Tweeters tweeters at u.washington.edu
Fri Jun 28 05:54:21 PDT 2024

Hi all,

  I need some help.  I often use eBird to look up "where are people
finding birds" by

checking recent checklists.  This usually helps me to pick a place in
Skagit County

where we live because I can see 'what's happening' quickly.

  However, what I've noticed is that there are lots of birders who are
posting

checklists with 2x 3x, and even more as many birds as I'm finding when I

go to the same place at the same time of day.

  ===> So my question is 'what are they doing that I'm not'?

  Here is what I am doing.  I walk and stop about every 30 feet or less
- and listen

first and then try to spot the more nearby birds I'm hearing. When I get
a visual I

will try to identify that bird.  I -often- hear birds that I can't id
from the song/call.

  I'm fairly new to birding - started about 5 years ago.  When I am on
guided tours

the guide -always- is way ahead of me.  My primary focus is getting
pictures and I

rarely carry anything other than my camera with long lens - but when my
wife is

with me she has her bins and that helps (some).  At least 9 out of 10
times I go

out I'm by myself rather than with a partner or group.

                                                               - Jim