[Tweeters] Wednesday at Nisqually.

Kenneth Brown via Tweeters tweeters at u.washington.edu
Wed Jun 26 19:24:54 PDT 2024

The Summer doldrums slipped in today. A significant drop off in the number of species could be blamed on the season or the absence of our usual incomparable leader. It could be both. The number of birders peaked at about 30, but dropped off steadily late morning. It was cool, overcast, and windy. We decide to reverse our usual route. After the orchard, we took the eastern half of the loop trail along the Nisqually River to the overlook, then to the twin barns, the dike and then to the McCallister Creek boardwalk and back to finish the western half of the loop and the flooded fields. Duck species and numbers have declined and many birds are quieter now than in spring. Barn, Cliff and Tree Swallow parents feeding young were found, as were Cedar Waxwings. Other than a single observation of a Yellow-headed Blackbird, no unexpected species were observed, but there was an unusually large congregation of Double-crested Cormorants and Great Blue Herons on McCallister Creek. They were seen catching Skulpin and Perch, and may have found something else tasty in the creek. The complete list of species is as follows:

Billy Frank Jr. Nisqually National Wildlife Refuge, Olympia US-WA 47.07225, -122.71205, Thurston, Washington, US
Jun 26, 2024 7:57 AM - 2:58 PM
Protocol: Traveling
5.01 mile(s)
Checklist Comments: Mostly cool, overcast, and windy. Non-avian fauna seen includes, Long-tailed Weasel, Rabbits, Gray Squirrel, Chipmunk, Garter Snake.
59 species (+3 other taxa)

Canada Goose 31
Wood Duck 12
Gadwall 9
Mallard 5
Hooded Merganser 9
Rock Pigeon (Feral Pigeon) 4
Band-tailed Pigeon 17
Mourning Dove 4
Anna's Hummingbird 3
Rufous Hummingbird 2
Virginia Rail 1
Killdeer 6
Ring-billed Gull 30
California Gull 60
Glaucous-winged Gull 1
Western x Glaucous-winged Gull (hybrid) 3
Western/Glaucous-winged Gull 6
Larus sp. 75
Caspian Tern 35
Brandt's Cormorant 9
Double-crested Cormorant 100
Great Blue Heron 125
Bald Eagle 40
Red-tailed Hawk 1
Red-breasted Sapsucker 2
Downy Woodpecker 4
Northern Flicker 2
American Kestrel 1
Western Wood-Pewee 10
Willow Flycatcher 8
Western Flycatcher 2
Warbling Vireo 4
Steller's Jay 1
American Crow 4
Black-capped Chickadee 15
Chestnut-backed Chickadee 6
Tree Swallow 50
Purple Martin 3
Northern Rough-winged Swallow 10
Barn Swallow 35
Cliff Swallow 35
Bushtit 2
Brown Creeper 5
Marsh Wren 12
Bewick's Wren 5
European Starling 150
Swainson's Thrush 43
American Robin 10
Cedar Waxwing 25
Purple Finch 7
American Goldfinch 18
Savannah Sparrow 4
Song Sparrow 40
Spotted Towhee 2
Yellow-headed Blackbird 1 Black bird with yellow head, white patches on wings.
Red-winged Blackbird 40
Brown-headed Cowbird 15
Common Yellowthroat 25
Yellow Warbler 30