[Tweeters] Inappropriate posts - from the thread Amerigo Vespucci

Louise via Tweeters tweeters at u.washington.edu
Tue Jun 25 08:07:47 PDT 2024

Very well said, Steve. Perception matters if we wish to see birding
continue in future generations. I can appreciate the point of view of those
conservation-minded people who have concerns that the money might instead
be spent directly on efforts for the birds, but if younger people and
people from local communities everywhere are dissuaded from becoming
involved in birding, then conservation efforts are doomed.

Louise Rutter
Kirkland

On Tue, Jun 25, 2024 at 7:53 AM Denise Bolton via Tweeters <
tweeters at u.washington.edu> wrote:

> Thank you Steve!

> Denise Bolton

> White woman well over the 65 limit.

> On Tue, Jun 25, 2024, 7:13 AM Kevin Lucas via Tweeters <

> tweeters at u.washington.edu> wrote:

>> Steve,

>> Thank you very much.

>> Sincerely,

>> Kevin Lucas -- A white male not yet over the 65 year old threshold, in

>> Yakima County, WA

>> *Qui tacet consentire videtur*

>> On Tue, Jun 25, 2024 at 6:37 AM Steve Hampton via Tweeters <

>> tweeters at u.washington.edu> wrote:

>>> In the absence of any intervention by a Tweeters administrator, I will

>>> reply.

>>> These posts against proposed bird name changes - usually with incorrect

>>> information and speculation regarding scope, costs and benefits, and other

>>> aspects - are inappropriate here and do harm to the birding community and

>>> the use of Tweeters as representative of the birding community.

>>> Without trying to convince anyone why bird names (and organization

>>> names) matter, I'll point out that they seem to matter to a lot of people.

>>> Regardless of the rationale, there are three basic facts about this issue:

>>> 1) The demographic breakdown on this issue is stark. Most younger people

>>> and people of color support the changes. Nearly all of the opposition comes

>>> from white people over 65. This tells me, from a diversity, equity, and

>>> inclusion perspective, there is a "there" there. We should pay attention to

>>> why this is.

>>> 2) Due to historical biases and discrimination in opportunities and

>>> privileges, the former group are the exact same demographics that are

>>> under-represented in birding; and the latter are far more likely to be

>>> today's field trip leaders, esteemed ornithologists, and conservation

>>> organization leaders. This is evident and much has been written about it.

>>> 3) Having the latter group publicly dismiss the former group (on any

>>> issue) is both insensitive and reckless when it comes to the future of

>>> birding. Using Tweeters as a safe space for the latter group to openly

>>> gripe and plan opposition is "gatekeeping" - public actions that preserve

>>> the status quo and drive certain newcomers away. Intentions don't matter

>>> here; impacts do. This is why so many younger people and people of color do

>>> not participate in Tweeters, certain other social media groups, many

>>> birding organizations, and their field trips.

>>> I'm dubious anyone will learn from this post, or be inspired to learn

>>> more. And I'm dubious about my continued participation in Tweeters.