[Tweeters] Washington state lands commissioner wary of federal plan to kill thousands of owls | The Daily Chronicle

Dan Reiff via Tweeters tweeters at u.washington.edu
Sun Jun 23 23:50:49 PDT 2024

Hello Tweeters,
The following article caught my attention.
As a person who spends hundreds of hours each year observing and filming owls, I have struggled to conclude my position regarding the removal of Barred owls from historic Spotted owl territories.

I now have.

I and others have noted some success in the last five year “Cull of the Wild”program.
Also, I do not have a link, but there was a longer article in the recent New Yorker magazine (June 17, 2024 – the debate over calling in invasive animals, page 58 ) that began with Spotted and Barred owls then, unfortunately, seemed to review failures more than successes in many other human intentionally or unintentionally introduced invasive species and the human attempts to affect or remedy the problems.

I am interested in the thoughts of others regarding the complex issues involved in policy decisions for Spotted and Barred owls.
Also, please share with me any comprehensive articles that review the many positions on this topic.
Thank you,
Dan Reiff

https://www.chronline.com/stories/washington-state-lands-commissioner-wary-of-federal-plan-to-kill-thousands-of-owls,342477

Sent from my iPhone