[Tweeters] Biggest Loser Thread Origin

Stephen Chase via Tweeters tweeters at u.washington.edu
Sun Jun 23 11:01:23 PDT 2024

Bill et al.,

The "Biggest Loser" reference was actually a reference to the upcoming name
changes from the AOS removing epynomous names from birds - i.e. Wilson's
Warbler, Cassin's Auklet, etc... Both Alexander Wilson and John Cassin will
both have their names removed from a number of species. A comment was made
that the 15th century explorer Amerigo Vespucci, who's name is the source
for the term "America," would be the biggest loser of all, since dozens of
birds have "American" in their name. That said, I have seen no suggestions
that the term "American" is included in this proposal, so I assumed this
comment was in jest.

Stephen