[Tweeters] Male Cassin’s Finch begging

Karen Wosilait via Tweeters tweeters at u.washington.edu
Mon Jun 17 12:10:35 PDT 2024

My husband and I drove Umptanum Road from Ellensburg to Wenas campground yesterday. One treat in the later section was flocks of Cassin’s Finches.

I saw a male with its beautiful red top clearly begging, wings outstretched and quivering, toward a female type bird.

Now that we’re back in cell range, I checked Birds of the World, and juveniles do look like adult females as I had suspected. I’ve never seen an adult beg before. Does anyone have any insights?

Karen Wosilait (she/her)
Seattle, WA
karen.w.mobile at gmail.com