[Tweeters] How do Cassin's Auklets work?

Tim Brennan via Tweeters tweeters at u.washington.edu
Mon Jun 17 10:36:00 PDT 2024

Thank you so much, Bob!

That description of the... dedication to their flight path, helps make sense of the only time I've ever seen one. On a cruise to Alaska, many, many years ago, I got up early and found one skittering around on the deck of the ship, quite confused.

Others reached out too, sharing some details from Cornell's birds of the world site. I primarily bird inside the state, so I have balked at subscribing... But the information was pretty fascinating, making that paywall seem less significant now. As you noted, they are pretty nocturnal, but it sounded like their departure times in the morning are a little brighter (civil twilight) than their all-back-to-bed time is a little darker (nautical twilight).

The exact picture in my head, the one where I watch from a boat as 50,000 little black birds come back to these islands has been adjusted a little bit, but I'd still love to pay these islands a visit. I do have one response so far, in regards to a Jefferson mini-pelagic out of La Push. Sounds like Tufted Puffins and occasional auklet flybys might be on the menu for that.

Unrelated, but I made a Father's Day trip out with my son and daughter to Jefferson. The highlight was a Red-eyed Vireo up the driveway at 922 Uncas Road. This is a continuing bird, and the driveway is part of the PNT<https://www.pnt.org/>, a trail system that I'd honestly not even heard of! The homeowner came out to help me find the vireo, and told me all about the trail. Good times. 🙂

Happy birding,

Tim Brennan
Renton
[https://www.pnt.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/02/PNT-Pasayten-Wilderness_Tyler-Yates-1024x679.jpg]<https://www.pnt.org/>
Pacific Northwest Trail Association - Explore and Protect the PNT<https://www.pnt.org/>
Get the information you need to explore and protect the Pacific Northwest Trail with free maps, trip planning tools, and the latest information.
www.pnt.org