[Tweeters] Red-necked Grebe south of Vantage

Dennis Paulson via Tweeters tweeters at u.washington.edu
Wed Jul 24 10:19:18 PDT 2024

Elaine Chuang, Netta Smith and I were surprised to see a Red-necked Grebe in breeding plumage on the Columbia River a few miles south of Vantage yesterday, 23 July 2024. I don’t think they are known to breed anywhere near there, and possibly this was an individual already migrating away from a breeding site. Birds often fail in their nesting attempts, and with no young to take care of, they may leave to head for wintering grounds.

Dennis Paulson
Seattle