[Tweeters] swallows & house sparrows

HAL MICHAEL via Tweeters tweeters at u.washington.edu
Mon Jul 22 17:57:13 PDT 2024

This swallow decline/change is certainly of wider scope that just WA. As a kid in CA I went to Caswell State Park, which is in the Sac-Jouquin Delta, in the early 60s. Saw all 5 species of swallowe in abundance and all nesting. When I reported this when I first got on e-bird, I put them in as an historical observation. I was called out for either the Bank or Rough-winged (I forget which) because they aren't there any more. More recently (2010s) I reported a Cliff Swallow from the Yolo Bypass, outside of Sacramento. Again, called out because at that time of year Cave Swallows are apparently more likely. Lots of long-term changes going on.

Hal Michael
Board of Directors, Ecologists Without Borders http://ecowb.org/
Olympia WA
360-459-4005