[Tweeters] Barred Owls

Robert O'Brien via Tweeters tweeters at u.washington.edu
Thu Jul 18 08:44:10 PDT 2024

Further information relative to Barred Owls.
A great parallel for Barred Owl removal is North America's native
Brown-headed Cowbird, which was in the process of eliminating Kirtland's
Warbler from the world's avifauna. Cowbirds have been successfully removed
from Kirtland's tiny, unique, northern Michigan, Jack Pine, environment for
quite a few decades now; thereby saving Kirtland's Warbler from extinction.
To my knowledge there has been no backlash against this program. But,
perhaps, Brown-headed Cowbirds are not as valuable; conspicuous;
interesting, etc.(?) as Barred Owls. Both these species are now
continent-wide abundant in North America.
But, in any case, Cowbirds are more abundant but not as large as Barred
Owls, and are removed by trapping as opposed to shooting, the latter
carrying many current, cultural suppositions or pro and con approbations.
For myself, I don't believe that Kirtland's Warblers are any more deserving
of salvation (although cuter) than Northern Spotted Owls.
.
Bob OBrien Portland