[Tweeters] Monopod recommendations

Jane Hadley via Tweeters tweeters at u.washington.edu
Wed Jul 10 16:42:24 PDT 2024

I have a Sony RX10 Mark IV camera, which I very much like, but it is too
heavy for me to hold still. I knew when I bought the camera that I would
require a monopod or tripod.

I looked hard for a tripod that would be simple, fast and easy to adjust
and light to carry.  (I decided against a monopod, because I didn't want
to have to hold the monopod at all times. It is handy to be able to
leave a tripod sitting there while I use my hands or move around.)

I finally found a good tripod for my purposes, thanks to help from a
friend. It is a Sirui A-1005. I got it on sale at Kenmore Camera. It
came with a ball head, which I did not like, so I bought the Sirui VA-5
ultra compact video head, which I really like, because it is simple and
allows me to use one hand to control the tripod head and the other hand
to fiddle with the camera.

The A-1005 is a travel tripod with four telescoping sections and is
short enough to pack in a suitcase. Crucially, it is light enough to
carry comfortably while walking around birdwatching.

Some caveats: Because this is a light-weight travel tripod, it will not
stand up as well to strong winds as heavier, sturdier tripods would. It
also might not be tall enough for a person who is 6 feet tall or taller.
But I have found this tripod and video head to be terrific for my
birdwatching photography.

Jane Hadley

Seattle, Wa

hadleyj1725 at gmail.com