[Tweeters] White-tailed Ptarmigan in WA -- confusion re WDFW claims and statements

Steve Loitz via Tweeters tweeters at u.washington.edu
Wed Jul 3 15:43:09 PDT 2024

Thanks, Stephen. Adding to the confusion, this 2005 document
<https://wdfw.wa.gov/sites/default/files/publications/01287/wdfw01287.pdf>,
which WDFW links on its WTPT page, distinguishes the North Cascades and
South Cascades population as follows: "N. White-tailed Ptarmigan, *L. l.
leucurus*, in n. Cascades and Mt. Rainier White-tailed Ptarmigan,
*rainierensis*, in the s.Cascades." The document also notes that the
species is "widespread and locally fairly common in the Cascades of
Washington." This text is inconsistent with the claim on the FB group
thread that *rainierensis* is the only subspecies is WA's Cascade mountains.

It seems possible that WDFW's "1,000 individuals" claim applies only
to the *rainierensis
*population and that the WTPT individuals north of I-90 are not included in
the 1,000 number.

Steve Loitz
Ellensburg

--