[Tweeters] White-tailed Ptarmigan in WA -- confusion re WDFW claims and statements

Stephen Chase via Tweeters tweeters at u.washington.edu
Wed Jul 3 15:16:22 PDT 2024

Appreciate the discussion, Steve.

A second point of confusion is that WDFW lists
<https://wdfw.wa.gov/species-habitats/species/lagopus-leucurus-saxatilis#resources>
"our" White-tailed Ptarmigan as *Lagopus leucurus saxatilis*. As far as I
can tell, *saxatilis* is the subspecies endemic to Vancouver Island. I
wondered if it once used to be conspecific with the Mt. Rainier
White-tailed Ptarmigan (*L.l.rainierensis*), but I don't see any evidence
to corroborate that guess. Oddly, on the same page, WDFW references a
thorough resource on White-tailed Ptarmigan that clearly describes
*rainierensis* as the subspecies of White-tailed Ptarmigan across the
Cascades, to the Canadian border (pgs 21-25 of this document
<https://ecos.fws.gov/ServCat/DownloadFile/202270>).

Stephen Chase
Everson