[Tweeters] Black-Throated Gray - WAY too early?

Steve Hampton stevechampton at gmail.com
Fri Mar 31 12:50:27 PDT 2023

Definitely very rare this early. While there are many March records for
Portland, OR (and one for Vancouver, WA), there are only 5 records on eBird
from north of there:

- Mar 23, 2019 Puyallup
- Mar 29, 2019 Discovery Park
- and three from BC, Canada (1996, 1997, and 2015)

I can tell you that Black-thr Gray Warblers are increasing significantly in
winter in the Sacramento Valley, where they have gone from very rare to
annual in winter. Based on similar patterns for other species, I would
expect them to continue over-wintering further north as the climate warms.
Or at least some birds moving north in March.

--
​Steve Hampton​
Port Townsend, WA (qatáy)