[Tweeters] large diving duck aggregation in Hood Canal

Steve Hampton stevechampton at gmail.com
Mon Mar 27 17:08:55 PDT 2023

The last few days birders have noticed thousands of diving ducks in the
water off US 101, mp 304, Right Smart Cove in Dabob Bay, Hood Canal. This
is between Brinnon and Quilcene. I suspect a herring spawning event is the
reason.

Today Barry McKenzie and I, in perfect weather at low tide, enjoyed over
3,000 ducks, including all three scoters, with impressive numbers of Surf
Scoters (~1900), Greater Scaup (500+), and Barrow's Goldeneyes (~180),
packed into a relatively small area.

Full list is here: https://ebird.org/checklist/S131999407

good birding,

--