[Tweeters] Goshawk- Anacortes

Nelson Briefer nreiferb at gmail.com
Mon Mar 27 15:05:29 PDT 2023

Dear birders and hawkwatchers — and there is a world of difference. Yes
there is a world of difference between a Goshawk and a Cooper’s hawk,
chiefly while in flight. A female NG in Anacortes on R Ave. over the
roundabout, at about 150 feet altitude. This very large accipiter had long
wings and a long tail. The hawk was circling in a tight circle, and then
flapping with very flexible wing beats. The hawk had the large arm, small
hand proportions. Naked eye and 10 seconds of observation as I drove under
the hawk. Also, I will try and give a class on hawking for NG all year long
at about once a week, weather dependent, in Skagit, Island, Snohomish, and
Lopez Island. Generally, I will give a three- day notice. I will also
contact Ryan Merrill, county compiler. Also, this sighting was around 2pm.
Nelson Briefer- Anacortes.