[Tweeters] Marymoor Park 2023-03-02

birdmarymoor birdmarymoor at frontier.com
Thu Mar 2 13:30:22 PST 2023

Tweets - We put in a rather pro-forma visit to Marymoor today.  It was rainy.  It was gray and gloomy.  It was not warm.  We were done just over 3 hours after our 7:00 a.m. start time, despite my attempts to keep our pace slow and constant. Our typical time is four hours or more.

Highlights:
    Lesser Scaup - One female in the slough - First of Year (FOY)
    Short-billed Gull - One with a bunch of Ring-billed Gulls - First since January
    Great Blue Heron - 40 were standing on or near nests in the heronry
    Great Horned Owl - Matt had one a just after 5 a.m. at the windmill
    American Goldfinch - One, heard only, our only finch
    American Beaver - One swimming down the slough just south of the Dog Area was our only mammal
    Mason Flint - Told us stories about birding in Guyana.  Sounded simultaneously wonderful and miserable

And that's about it.

Misses today included Cooper's Hawk, Red-breasted Sapsucker, Northern Shrike, Bushtit, Marsh Wren, House Finch, and Purple Finch

We had 51 species today plus George, the Ring-necked Pheasant.

Looking forward to next week, when we might get our first signs of real spring birds.

- Michael Hobbs