[Tweeters] Wrentitish recording

casey cunningham redpeelingbark at gmail.com
Tue Jan 31 20:29:42 PST 2023

Thanks for all the responses. I can add with near certainty that the bird
calling in that recording is not an oystercatcher. I was very close to it
a few times, it was calling just ahead of me from what seemed like within
the jetty rocks, and a few minutes later it was calling from behind me.
Later it appeared to have moved a bit north of the jetty into the
beachgrass or around the base of the isolated stunted conifers nearby. It
was extremely skulky. As it was getting dark and i was getting desperate I
pished and played a wrentit song, which only pulled up a silent song
sparrow.

I've heard song sparrows occasionaly do a 'bouncing ball' sound similar to
wrentit, so it seems plausible they could make a single note like that. It
seems odd that one would make only that note on and off for ~30 minutes,
but maybe less odd than a wrentit crossing the Columbia and hanging out in
jetty riprap.

Casey