[Tweeters] Dunlin Flocking Defense

RW Hamlyn xtenter at comcast.net
Tue Jan 31 15:31:31 PST 2023

Jim,

Interesting comments about Dunlin reacting without a predator. So many times when we have seen this type of display, it has been so far away that we can’t identify what is driving it. The few times we have seen it up close, we have usually spotted a predator, or thought we did. I will be more conscious of that from now on. And the fact that it often carries on for a long time when there is no longer a predator around, may speak to a kind of “herd” mentality, or better said, a flock mentality that is just reacting. And maybe it’s because it's fun… but it must consume a lot of energy! I wonder if there are any studies on this?

Ray