[Tweeters] Wrentit question and Pacific Cty Bullock's Oriole

Jeff Gilligan jeffgilligan10 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 29 21:59:29 PST 2023

My primary residence is on the Long Beach Peninsula. My yard would have Wrentits if they occurred generally there, which they don’t. I am very familiar with the species from the Oregon coast where I also have a home. I have seen Wrentits near the mouth of the Columbia River, but I would be surprised if one would fly across the wide estuary there. In my experience, they only make very short flights and usually stay in thick brush along the coast (usually salal). The few birds found near Portland were in thick Armenian blackberry thickets. I doubt that they would cross the Columbia even there, but they , or the ancestors, must have crossed the Willamette River to get to the location where they have been found east of Portland.

BTW: I think is extremely unlikely that one would use the Astoria-Megler Bridge to cross the river.

Jeff Gilligan