[Tweeters] Skagit Bay CBC - Jan 1, 2023

Scott Ramos nearpost at gmail.com
Fri Jan 27 20:45:40 PST 2023

This was the 36th year for the SBCBC and the third year in which we
followed Covid protocols, with limits on participation. Hopefully, next
year we will be able to once again open up to volunteers. In fact, this
year one of our sectors had to cancel at the last minute when team members
picked up a Covid infection. We had 30 field observers and 5 feeder
watchers. And, no one complained about the weather--mid-40s, little wind,
no precipitation, no snow or ice to contend with, and periods of actual sun!

The survey ended up with 123 species, just above the average of 122.
185,000 individual birds were counted which is the second highest total for
the count circle (2002 saw the highest total of 224,000).

No new species were recorded this year but we did have high counts for ten
species:
Eurasian Wigeon [22], American Wigeon [13125], Bufflehead [747], Greater
Yellowlegs [70], Cooper's Hawk [17], Great Horned Owl [19], Pileated
Woodpecker [10], American Robin [3211], American Goldfinch [233] and
Brown-headed Cowbird [41].

American Wigeon has shown a steady increase since 2014. But, until this
year, American Robin was on a downward trend with the previous 3 years
below the 10% level. The high count this year was more than 3 times the
average; only one other year comes close, 2610 in 1994.

American Crow [119] had the lowest total by far for the survey, surpassing
the previous low of 149 in 2019. Avian flu is always a concern when bird
counts drop but American Crow had already started a significant decline in
2010. Maybe they have all moved south to the UW Bothell roost!

One of the main purposes of the CBC surveys is an understanding of trends,
both positive and negative. While the SBCBC does not have a history as long
as others in the region and in the nation, some trends are still of note.
Parenthetical notes for the species show the count and the percentile
across the 36 years. Over 50% implies higher than the median and lower is
below.

High: Common Goldeneye (303, 97%), Hooded Merganser (49, 89%), Common
Merganser (114, 91%)
Low: Red-breasted Merganser (7, 17%), Ruddy Duck (28, 9%), Western Grebe
(27, 14%).

High: Eurasian Collared-Dove (267, 91%), Anna's Hummingbird (74, 89%),
Virginia Rail (7, 91%).

High: Long-billed Dowitcher (226, 97%), Marbled Murrelet (45, 97%), Pelagic
Cormorant (11, 97%)
Low: Killdeer (15, 14%), Sanderling (2, 43%), California Gull (1, 46%)

High: Bald Eagle (248, 94%), American Kestrel (25, 97%)
Low: Northern Shrike (1, 6%)
Bald Eagle have shown a very stable population of more than double the mean
counts for the last 7 years. Anyone who drives the Skagit roads can confirm
their presence with the proliferation of their bulky nests.

High: Common Raven (82, 94%), Red-breasted Nuthatch (55, 86%), Western
Meadowlark (107, 94%), Yellow-rumped Warbler (27, 87%)
Low: Savannah Sparrow (4, 43%), Lincoln's Sparrow (5, 11%)

Reports from a couple of our sectors noted low sparrow numbers (except for
Song Sparrow) and attributed the decline to habitat loss including brush
clearing. But, the numbers were a little low in almost all sectors.

Thanks to all participants for your contributions. But don't get your hopes
up for a mild survey day next winter--trends suggest this will not occur
any time soon.
Scott Ramos (compiler)