[Tweeters] Snow Goose article

Steve Hampton stevechampton at gmail.com
Wed Jan 25 21:42:14 PST 2023

This is a pretty good summary of the issues with Snow Geese in the Skagit
in winter, though it raises more questions than answers. It completely
fails to mention that climate change and the greening of the Arctic has
created the goose explosion. In some regions of the North Slope, the Snow
Goose population is increasing 35% per year (every year over a 10 year
period). That implies a 20-fold population increase. Snow Geese are one
obvious piece in a world spinning into a new equilibrium.
Here's one (of many) articles on that:
https://hakaimagazine.com/news/lack-of-snow-is-ironically-helping-snow-geese/

I'm curious how many farmers have winter crops impacted, and I assume
summer crops are not impacted -- but the article was not clear on that. In
the Sacramento Valley, which also has massive numbers of Snow Geese, they
are largely concentrated on managed National Wildlife Refuges designed to
attract them, though they are also in fallow ag fields (especially flooded
rice fields after harvest and fallow corn fields).

I like the idea of farmers earning some income by creating winter
eco-tourism amenities, like parking areas and bathrooms!

--
​Steve Hampton​
Port Townsend, WA (qatáy)