[Tweeters] Deception Pass State Park

Cynthia Simonsen csimonsen52 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 24 08:23:20 PST 2023

Greetings Tweeters,

Deception Pass State Park may not add new species to your life list yet the
birds often offer some very enjoyable viewing.

Yesterday, January 23, from the new dock on Cranberry Lake, we watched an
immature bald eagle hunting a flock of American Coots. Observing the eagle
and the reaction on the coots was most enjoyable. The eagle did several fly
overs to no avail. I’ve never seen coots dive so quickly! Cranberry Lake is
currently hosting a good size flock of Commom Mergansers, some Hooded
Mergansers, a few Bufflehead, Double-crested cormorants and a Belted
Kingfisher. Nothing exotic but beautiful birds.

And, if you’ve never seen the red-throated loons ride the ebbing tide
that’s another amazing event that happens on a regular basis. 100’s of
loons fly in to ride the tide and catch some fish.

Happy birding,
Cindy

csimonsen 52 at gmail