[Tweeters] RFI Malheur

Jerry Broadus qblater at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 21 10:45:10 PST 2023

This can be a big topic. I spent several seasons surveying birds there in the early 2000’s (before the “takeover”. Generally early April is still cold (the refuge is at around 4000’ elevation) and I often had snow until mid April. None the less, the Harney County Bird Festival is April 13-16, and can generally guarantee huge flocks of Snow and Ross’ Geese, as well as quite a few Lesser Sandhills near Burns. May is traditionally the favored month at the refuge, as lots of birds migrate in then (think White-faced Ibis). June begins mosquito season. Fall is good for rarities. Winter is very cold.

Motels in Burns are preferred stay places during the festival. However my favorite hotel has long been the Hotel Diamond, just east of mid refuge (historichoteldiamond.com). The hotel/motel in Frenchglen is also good, for the south end of the refuge. There is RV camping at the Narrows RV park (near north end) and good dry camping at Page Springs BLM campground at south end. Also consider the Malheur Field Station near north end.

Take into account that the refuge is about 40 road miles from north to south, and you can put in a lot of miles east and west in some parts, so you need several days to see it all, especially considering the possibility of bad weather. Visitor center is at the headquarters at the north end.

Sent from Mail for Windows