Michael Hobbs birdmarymoor at gmail.com
Thu Jan 19 18:03:47 PST 2023

Tweets - We started out in the fog at 32 degrees. After a rather steady
progression, it ended up mostly sunny and 42 degrees. Not a bad day.
Birdwise, it was okay, certainly the best of 2023, though that's not saying
much.

Highlights:

- Great Horned Owl - predawn, one called continually for more than half
an hour from a cottonwood near the east end of the boardwalk, (FOY)
- Hairy Woodpecker - probably two total, one at the east end of the
boardwalk, one near the mansion. First of Year, (FOY)
- Pileated Woodpecker - one flew along the far side of the slough near
the weir, (FOY)
- Lincoln's Sparrow - one posed nicely in the Pea Patch, (FOY)

A late scan of the lake turned up two male WOOD DUCK (FOY) and two HORNED
GREBE (FOY), as well as a RIVER OTTER.

Once again, finches were all but completely absent. Today, we had a few
brief finch sounds now and then; pretty sure we heard a House Finch, maybe
a Purple Finch at the Rowing Club, and I probably imagined the possible
American Goldfinch. But on my eBird checklist, I just put an X for "Finch
sp."

For the day, 53 species, plus the Finch sp. and the Ring-necked Pheasant.

= Michael Hobbs
= birdmarymoor at gmail.com
= www.marymoor.org/birding.htm