[Tweeters] What about the Mallards?

jimbetz at jimbetz.com jimbetz at jimbetz.com
Thu Jan 19 14:42:17 PST 2023

Hi,

Every winter - especially - but also pretty much year round ... there
are Mallard drakes and hens here in Skagit County. They often are "with"
other species such as Canada Geese, Trumpeter Swans, and other ducks.
Well, actually I should say that the "other ducks" are with the Mallards -
because the Mallards far outnumber the others. My non-scientific ratio
is "one Mallard for at least every other duck".

So are we all just sort of 'ignoring' (not reporting) the Mallards
because they are so ubiquitous? Or are there lots of them here in
Skagit and other places not so much? Yes, of course they are being
reported ... but not anywhere near as often as they seem to occur
(at least "seem to occur to Me").

I've been seeing Mallards - everywhere and in relatively large
numbers ... especially when you think about how many places you
will see "a hundred or so in that field" and "another hundred or
so in the field on the other side of the same road" and "another
fifty or hundred and fifty in the very next field" ... etc., etc.,
etc.
I don't go birding outside of Skagit (so many birds, so many
species, so little time) ... have I picked up on something that
happens here and doesn't in Whatcom, Snohomish, King, Pierce,
Island, Klickitat, Pacific, etc., etc., etc.
- Jim in Skagit County

P.S. My fuzzy memory is saying to me "Gary Bletsch reported Mallards".