[Tweeters] Yellow-rumps followup

Jeff Gilligan jeffgilligan10 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 12 13:24:22 PST 2023

My primary residence is now on the Long Beach Peninsula. I spend most of the winter in southern Arizona, but am on the peninsula into early December. Yellow-rumps become scarce on the peninsula by the time I leave. They were always something I looked at twice in my former Portland neighborhood in winter. In contrast, winter visits to the southern Oregon coast have always resulted in pretty good numbers of Yellow-rumps (mostly Myrtles). Not only is it much more mild in winter there, but Pacific wax myrtles and their waxy fruit are more prominent. Myrtle Warblers got their name for a reason, that being that they could digest the waxy protective covering of the fruit of the plant. I have planted Pacific wax myrtles on the peninsula, and it fruits quite well, and is within the plant’s range, but the number and frequency of the warblers in winter is much less than Curry County, Oregon Warming temperatures generally may result in greater numbers in the future at Willapa Bay.