[Tweeters] Yellow-rumps followup

Steve Hampton stevechampton at gmail.com
Thu Jan 12 13:06:36 PST 2023

Port Townsend has seen a significant increase in Yellow-rumped Warblers in
winter. Last year we had a record 16 birds on our CBC; this year we smashed
that with 89. I don't know too much about the past, but it seems like it
was a few Myrtles around KahTai Lagoon (riparian) and in the green wax
myrtles at the sewage treatment plant by Chinese Garden. This year, most
birds are at the latter location, foraging all thru North Beach, but also
at other coastal more temperate locations. That said, I've seen them
several miles inland in the last month. It's been running about 2/3
Myrtles, 1/3 Audubon's.

YRWAs have been increasing in winter across the PNW as I showed in some CBC
data here:
*Heading south for winter, more birds are choosing the Pacific Northwest*
https://thecottonwoodpost.net/2022/10/07/heading-south-for-winter-more-birds-are-choosing-the-pacific-northwest/

good birding,

--
​Steve Hampton​