[Tweeters] RFI: Birds and local glaciation

Tom Benedict benedict.t at comcast.net
Mon Jan 9 18:21:14 PST 2023

This is an interesting topic. I don’t have any particular insights, but I wonder if looking for proxy data in the non-avian natural history might infer some relationships. Especially the history of the flora, since that makes up so much of the food source for birds. I have found it fascinating to compare the rich plant diversity in southern states beyond the limit of glaciation against the quite limited diversity we find today in the northern states. There may be a way to correlate bird species with native plants which managed to persist during the ice age.

Off hand, I’d speculate that sea birds, living mainly on sea life, may have stayed on the margins the longest. Fish eating raptors too.

Have you contacted the Ice Age Floods Institute <http://iafi.org/puget-lobe-chapter/>? They seem to be focused on geology and hydrology, but might have some biology expertise.

Sorry I don’t have any other specific resources. Keep us posted on what you find.

Tom Benedict
Seahurst, WA