[Tweeters] Birding in Brasil

Ellen Cohen cohenellenr at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 8 16:55:57 PST 2023

Hi Scott,I completely agree with your assessment of your Brazil birding experience.  I was there for two weeks birding the Atlantic forest, dates overlapping somewhat with your trip, as knew from Shep and Jon.  All of the Brazilians we encountered on our trip were warm, friendly and many were excellent birders.  We stayed for several nights in each of the accommodations in Parque Estadual Intervales (a state park), a hotel in Ubatuba, and lodging in Parque National do Itatiaia, Brazil's first national park. Fortunately we did not encounter any side effects related to the demonstrations surrounding runoff election that was held when we were there.
And on a complete non-birding note, I was saddened to hear of the death of Pelé, as were all Brazilians.  I had the great privilege of watching him several times when he played for the NY Cosmos.
Next trip on the Brazil bucket list would be to the Pantanal, as I know you and others have had wonderful experiences there.